Sunday, August 18, 2013

Where did the summer go???

Will you look at that!  I've gone and done it again.  Every August I miss posting for a whole month and then Google Analytics tells me I've lost 50% of my readers due to lack of new postings.  So at this point I figure there are like 3 of you left reading the blog.  But never fear, I'll keep right on blathering into the blogosphere.  Let's see do I catch up chronologically or randomly?  ummmm randomly, I think; and I'm going to put it in lots of little posts so all 3 of you can easily comment on lots of stuff.  Deal?
Our garden is an awesome jungle!  We've had a lot of rain this summer and that has made all the difference in our success as gardeners.  My favorite is our bean pole that has strings guiding the vines up to the top of our 6 foot-keep-the-wildlife-out fence.
The kids get a big kick out of the wacky carrots we grow in our super hard soil.
We've discovered that broccoli and cauliflower are hard to grow like you find in the grocery store, BUT they have huge leaves (you can see the bluish green cauliflower leaves next to the bean pole in the picture above) which are also edible, and we are crazy about making chips out of them.  So if you have edible greens (kale, collard etc.) that are super yucky any other way, try...
cutting the major ribs out of them,
then tear them into bite sized pieces,
toss them in olive oil and sea salt,
spread them on a cookie sheet,
roast them in your oven at 400-ish until they are crispy & slightly browned
and eat them all up!

1 comment:

LL said...

Glad the rain helped your garden this year! We got so much rain our poor garden just drowned.

Those carrots are cool - the kids must love seeing the crazy shapes y'all end up with.

Followers