Sunday, April 10, 2011

temple trip

WE MADE IT!!!!! We have been trying for the past six months to get to the Bismarck temple and have been thwarted at every turn. First attempt, Marc ended up in the ER with a wicked case of pink eye the morning we were to leave. Second attempt, we were snowed in here. Third attempt, all roads into Bismarck were closed due to a blizzard. This weekend our fourth attempt was going well until Sage started barfing all over the car, but since we’d already cleared the halfway point, we just kept on going.

Travel between here and Bismarck is…interesting?... nope, make that mind-numbingly boring and it happened to be really dreary weather. It seriously felt like we were traveling in black and white. There isn’t one clearly best route, just a bunch of little country state roads. It’s roughly 5 1/2 hours of driving each way no matter which roads you chose and you should get gas every chance you get, because there aren’t that many towns between here and there. Eventually even counting pheasants lost its charm for M; he lost interest after about 80.

On the way back through North Dakota we took “the Enchanted Highway”. It was about a 30 mile stretch of road with gigantic metal sculptures every so often. It made that part of the drive a lot more fun, anticipating what the next one would look like and when we’d be able to see it. It was rainy, so J and I were the only ones who got out of the car to take pictures.
 J is in a lot of the shots to show off the scale of these pieces.
He wanted to feed the baby pheasants
"Fisherman's Dreams" 
"Teddy Rides Again"
 The giant grasshoppers where our favorites!
grasshopper guts
(yep, that's a minivan by the wheat sculptures.)

I'm not suggesting that it be added to the 7 Wonders of the World, but if you must drive to Bismarck, North Dakota I would definately take "The Enchanted Highway"!

Those of you who knew me best when S was a 2 year old and sugar never crossed her lips will probably really enjoy this last photo.  Currently this is the going price for 4 minutes of peace and quiet from AJ.

5 comments:

Malerie said...

Wow! Those Sculptures are awesome!

Linn said...

Wow, that is quite a drive to the temple. I feel even more grateful to be close. Fabulous sculptures!

appetersen said...

That does it! Can we (I guess now though - it's just me, myself, and I) come visit via Bismarck and the Enchanted Highway? I couldn't believe my eyes... Amazing! Hope you're all doing well...

LL said...

Cool sculptures!

That is a long drive - did you guys make a weekend of it? We're just over 2 hours each way and feel very blessed that we are so close! I can leave at 5 am, make the 8 am session and get home around lunch time, if I don't stop anywhere. What a blessing to be able to go to the temple and still have half my Saturday free!

I can remember how "inconvenient" it was to go to the temple when we lived in the Eagle Gate ward - 2 blocks from the Salt Lake temple. How spoiled was I???? :-)

adrianne said...

finally! someone else knows about the enchanted highway! our friends in north dakota told us about it - so we ventured on it on our way back west. apparently, north dakota was upset that south dakota gets all the tourism from mt. rushmore, so the enchanted highway was "supposed" to bring in revenue for the state. so funny!

Followers