Let the birthday season begin!! This weekend kicks off my family's birthday season with 3 birthdays, then over the next 3 weeks we have 8 more, not counting my cousins, aunts or uncles!
One of the 3 b-days this weekend was our own Miss S! Seven good years with this kid and we are looking forward to many more.
I’ve learned that I can’t ask S too far in advance what she’d like the theme of her birthday to be because she gets too creative on me and changes to a new, grander, more elaborate theme after I’ve already started making stuff for the first over-the-top scheme. So 4 or 5 days ago I asked, and she wanted a “Secret Garden” birthday. We read the book awhile ago and she really liked it. We talked about the parts that she remembered and the part we both liked best was when the robin helped Mary Lenox find the key and the door to the garden. So she made a robin ‘piñata’ in about a half hour out of paper, colored pencils and tape. Awesome! One more thing I didn’t have to stay up late to make happen!
It’s snowy today so it wasn’t very spring gardeny feeling outside, but get this, S spotted a whole flock of robins in our backyard this afternoon. I’m sure I’ve never seen more than 2 robins together at a time in my entire life, and here we had easily 20, maybe 30, flitting happily about together. Not long after they left, one of the foxes trotted through the yard…remember Dickon’s fox? It was like Mother Nature wanted to make Sage’s low-key, stay-at-home birthday something special by inviting our favorite wild characters from the story.
The cake was more pictorial and less dimensional than AJ's train, but S loved it; especially the key. (click on the image if it's too small to read the construction notes.)
But my favorite special touch for S's big day?... Well, it was inevitable, only a matter of time really, before I added tying balloon animals to my repertoire of vitally useless skills. I gave myself the assignment of learning how for a couple of church activities in the past month and really put my new expertise to good use last night, creating a gigantic balloon flower chandelier for S’s birthday delight. I had a blast sculpting it and imagining myself as the Chihuly of balloons…
...quite possibly I need to get out more often. :)




4 comments:
Oh Miss S. You are too cute! A Secret Garden party?! How absolutely perfect! Wish I could come! You are such a great mom. So creative and fun. Have fun celebrating!!
in my next life i want you to throw all my birthday parties...the best ever!
How wonderful and fun! I've been thinking about you a lot lately. Javi is turning 6, and we're having our first "friend party". He has made his own decorations and invitations...I keep thinking that it would go so much better if I were more like you. :-)
I, too, am a balloon sculptor! Sometimes we just have piles and piles of balloon animals roaming the house. I love your flowers - I need to check that book out from the library again and try something new.
It is weird to have the robins back when there is still snow and we're still all bundled up. Our cat is going NUTS over the robins. We had a whole bunch in the neighbor's yard the other day and he sat at the window all afternoon, ever hopeful that one will somehow get into the house.
Happy Birthday, Miss S! I can't believe we'll all be busy with baptisms a year from now!
Loooooove the cake - it's gorgeous - and the balloon bouquet is great. Totally can't show that picture to Sasha, or she'll be begging me to learn how to tie balloons, too. :-)
Mercers were here last week, and we really missed you guys!
-KJ
Post a Comment