I think one of the things I'm liking about blogging is having a sort of visual list of the things I've checked off of my to-do list. I also like having the before/after pics and the little notes-to-self-about-the-process all in one place. Here's a few projects that I really liked from September.
I have a new niece and her adoring big brothers call her Sweet Pea. I fancied up this little onesie for her and made the skirt on the hem of which I machine embroidered the lyrics to that catchy old song; "Oh Sweet Pea, come on & dance with me. Come on, come on, come on and dance with meeeeeeee!"
(I hope it gets as firmly stuck in your head as it is in mine.)
I just bought the little leg warmers because they are so irresistible, no?!?!
I taught a one night class for the ladies at church on how to lengthen a skirt. Being tall and all legs, I do this a lot. I didn't have any skirts that needed lengthening at the moment, so I took a pair of pants and made them into a skirt. (there are hundreds of tutorials for this on the web) Then for the class I showed how to do messy pleats and ended up with this gem! I LOVE how it turned out. I wear it all the time; even to church...can a bishop's wife wear denim to church? I don't know if there's official policy on that, but this one wears it!
This next photo shows a) how cute the pleats are and how I left them unfinished and happily frayed and b) the darling ring I crafted out of a thrifted bee brooch! (Aleisha, I think of you every time I wear my bee ring. I swear, if I ever find another bee brooch, I'll make something for you, but this one is mine. :) )...and again, can a bishop's wife wear navy nail polish? Having a bit of an identity crisis over this lately.
J put some more holes in his jeans and he scored a monster patch this time. He loves it almost as much as I love my skirt & ring.
As I was cutting out this patch I thought I'd just mention a bit of my method on these.
First I draw out my design (or you could just find an image you like in a book or online)
Next I cut it out and trace it onto my base material.
Then I cut the smaller shapes out of the paper drawing and trace them onto the contrasting
fabric(s).
I also lightly rough in any top stitching details (in this case the teeth & tongue) I plan to do with pen that matches the color of thread I'll be using.
Lately I've found that permanent fabric glue is holding up better than double sided iron on type adhesives, at least on these jeans patches.
Aaaaaaaaaaaand last but not least, I finally painted an octopus on my last boring accent pillow!









4 comments:
what an absolutely darling bee ring, i am so glad to know i am the next in line to get one:) that jean skirt is awesome--navy is a fabulous color for nails--right now i am sporting orange with black polka dots for halloween! i love the blog for the checklist thing, too.
You never cease to amaze me.
Using the puffy paint along the edges of my patches didn't help at all, and it means I can't use the iron to heat the adhesive back up again. I'm sewing them all on my machine...no small feat, with such small pants. I'll have to try the glue.
Love the skirt, love the nail polish. You're a pretty awesome bishop's wife!
Love, love, love the sweet pea! And yes the bishop's wife can wear any color polish. I'm impressed that you find time to paint your nails!
Great stuff! Loved all the projects. Especially the bee ring. There is nothing more refreshing than to see the Bishop's wife be her amazing self. It can free other women to be their individual selves too! I say keep up the good work.
Post a Comment