Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sugar Season

The inundation of sugar has begun. Does anyone else feel like the half of the year between Halloween and Easter seems to be a constant onslaught of candy, confections & baked goods? Yes, there is a slight lull in January after the glutton of Christmas, but really it’s such an unhealthy time of year. Our sugar season kick off event this year was the SDSMT Museum of Geology’s annual trick-or-treat-at-the-museum shindig yesterday. It was just in the Paleontology Building because the museum is still being renovated so it wasn’t quite as fun as last year’s, but hey, sugar is sugar! J is particularly vulnerable to sugar; he just can’t get enough. We had apple crisp for dessert and J licked the apples clean and suggested, “Next time you make apple crisp, Mom, why don’t you leave out the apples and just make crisp crisp.”
Our kids scored bonus points with the SDSMT geology students yesterday when they knew what trilobites were without any of the students telling them and were really excited about painting the plaster casts of them. Geeky rock hounds of a feather flock together. Has anyone else noticed how many puns there are when you are around geologist…J really digs trilobites…S thinks crystals really rock. Did I mention we are geeks? ;)
The kids have chosen classic Halloween costumes this year. S is a witch. J is a jack-o-lantern. AJ is an owl. They were most impressed by a giant of a Viking at the museum. These geology students really go all out on their costumes. It’s fun to see. I’ve been smitten with the inexplicable and irrepressible need to be a unicorn for Halloween. (Yep, confirmed geek.) Fortunately I am so busy between now and Halloween that I probably wont have time to work up a costume.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

the costumes rock, too. i just am rock nerd, too. love your rock that you get to use in your yard--can't wait to see how you landscape them. the chenielle cutter is a tool i haven't had time to use yet, but i'll let you know if you need one! it snowed today--crazy. do you do rolled hems on your sewing machine very often with a special foot? if you do what is your key to success?

Linn said...

Crisp, crisp? Sign me up! The more sugar, the better!

Darling costumes!

LL said...

Crisp crisp! I love it!! Javier is our sugar child - he's always telling me that he only likes junk food. And he isn't kidding! Every holiday I think "this is the one I eat treats at because they are my favorite." About a year ago I realized that I eat the treats at every holiday. A sad moment of self awareness. I comforted myself with something chocolate, no doubt. :-)

Love the costumes. I've been looking forward to seeing what you come up with this year. I'm sure you can whip up a unicorn costume by Halloween! (although I do kind of like to hear that you don't think you have time, because I figured you could just whip these things out in a few minutes, but it turns out that you're actually human, not superwoman...)

Quick question: how is the glue on the pants patch holding up? And can you email me your monster pattern? I've got, like, 5 more pairs of pants to patch and I'm fresh out of ideas. Thanks!

Followers