Wednesday, October 20, 2010

ROCKS!!!!

This is what you get when you give a couple of good construction workers a plate full of cookies!!!

Actually at this very moment, they are out there stacking up a couple more about the size of the one I am leaning on in this pic!!!  I'm giddy!!!

The city is putting a sewer line into our neighborhood and while most of us are pretty unhappy about that and about the $45,000+ each house is going to have to dish out for our mandatory hook up costs (yeah, I can think of about a million things I'd rather spend that many of our hard earned pennies on than a sewer!!!) at least I scored some awesome boulders for the yard!

I love that they are native to my hill and perfectly match our existing outcroppings.  I love that they were free.  I love that I get to figure out where to put each one!  I see stairs, a climbing play area for the kids, a fire chimney with stone benches. maybe a water feature or entry monument, maybe even a replica of Tim Hawkinson's Teddy Bear at UCSD for the nostalgia of it. :) 

M wishes I'd make up my mind quickly before the workers that I've charmed with my cookies finish and leave, so that maybe I could get them to move some of these monsters closer to their final resting places.

It's been strangely pleasant to wake up to the sound of heavy machinery each morning for the past 2 weeks.  I guess we got so used to the constant sirens, traffic and construction noise in SLC & San Diego that instead of being irritated by the neet, neet, neet of backing vehicles, it makes me smile; it almost seems comforting, & homey & less lonely?!?!  Well, whichever it may be, the sound puts AJ over the moon!  The very first thing he does when I come into his room in the morning is energetically sign "TRUCK! TRUCK! TRUCK!" followed by, "SHOES! SHOES! SHOES!"  all the while he is shouting "EES, EES, EES!!"  (translation: I hear the trucks running! Please get my shoes on so I can go out to watch! NOW!!)  On Friday the track hoe operator invited him up into his cab for a little test drive; little boy heaven!

And just in case you need to woo some of your own construction workers, here's my cookie recipe!
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
Stir these together and then mix in
3 1/3 cups oats
2/3 cup sunflower seeds
2/3 cup crasins
1 cup chocolate chips
Press into a greased 9x13 pan
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

3 comments:

Emily said...

please tell me it's 4500...not 45,000 to hook up to the sewer!!!! i hope that's a typo. if not, sorry!

Christy said...

Sadly Emily it wasn't a typo. I guess technically the city's fee in a mere $15,000, but we have to pay someone to come blast trough our hill and install a pump to get us physically connected to the line and that's averaging around $30,000. ugh!

LL said...

Love the rocks! Sorry this is costing so much - I hate spending money like that. On the other hand, I do like indoor plumbing...

Followers