For fun this week, we dumped glitter, sequins, beads, curly ribbons, and any random sparkly thing we found around the house in couple of water bottles. Then we filled them with water and they have provided hours of entertainment for the kids.
I tried putting a touch of food coloring in mine, neh, we liked the plain water better. I also tried putting oil in mine to see if it would be cool to have bubbles of it separate from the water. That was also less than successful; it glommed on to my sparkly stuff and I ended up with one big clod instead of the free falling, tumbling fun in the plain water.
One of my New Year’s resolutions is to finish 2 or 3 projects a month that I already have begun…yep that means I easily have 3 dozen projects underway. For me the real thrill of creation occurs in the conception of the idea, maybe working out a few details and a pattern, and collecting the materials. Then I lose interest after a couple of hours or days into the actual execution of the project. So I’m planning some “Finish It UP Fridays” to balance out the rest of the week of wild idea generation. This week's Finish It Up Friday projects were special Christmas pillow cases with our first initials on them,
and a scarf like the one M made for our sister-in-law. I tried a striped sweater and decided I liked 5 inch squares with the heavier material. I thought sewing went easier stacking the squares upside down from the way shown in the tutorial; the corners didn't flip up that way.
I also finished up a couple gifts, but I can't show them until after they are delivered next month.
As long as I'm making some of my resolutions public, I might also mention my parenting New Year's resolution is to argue with M in front of the kids (even if we have to stage it), to let the kids sleep in and to stop telling them that they are brilliant. Why such an ambitious agenda? Read this interview I heard on NPR and some of his book.







4 comments:
i can't wait to hear about your "argument"....
really i can't wait to see all your projects...another way we are kindred spirits...i call it ADD with the projects, love to get the stuff, get about 1/3 of the way through and then, psfsssssf--that is the sound of it fizzling out. i have as one of my new's years goals to become better at gift giving, maybe that will help motivate me to finish the projects i start?
love you and your blog!
So I am reading a book based on the Myers-Briggs personality type and it is really good. Your love for starting the projects made me think of it. Have you heard of it? Its called MotherStyles.
Also, the sleep stuff, another good book we have lived by is Health Sleep Habits, Happy Baby. The author discusses the sleep needs of children and adolescents as well and how sleep is related to intelligence.
Lastly, the classroom management theory I found as a teacher to love is also a great parenting tool and one of the main books is called Positive Discipline talks all about the role of praise versus encouragement. They are pro encouragement. It is hard though to say things like, "you know how to listen" versus "you are a good (italicized) listener".
So fun to see what you are doing!
That water bottle thing looks too fun! We'll have to try it!
Love your resolutions. I have boxes (plural!) of stuff I've started and never finished, all sorts of zippers and stuff I've bought for an idea what never came to fruition. I should steal your resolution. :-) Can't wait to see what you finish - you've got ideas and skills and I love to see what you come up with. :-)
Post a Comment