Sunday, December 20, 2009

some celebrating


I'm telling you, this whole city REALLY likes to celebrate Christmas. I went to pick up some Christmas lights and Target was cleaned out, Walmart was down to only white mini lights, ShopKo had a couple kinds but not what I was looking for, and 2 drugstores were cleaned out too. So that night we decided to drive around a bit and MAN! These people go all out on their yard décor! It really is something else to see how many people get their huge trees covered in lights. We’re talking, like 3 stories high! And have I mentioned how Christian the Christmas seems around here? I actually found 3 wrapping paper prints that had nativities on them. There are bunches of fabric nativity prints and whole aisles dedicated to nativity themed decorations at the craft stores.  Even the National Guard has a nativity on their headquarters lawn!

This Thursday evening we went to M’s department's family Christmas party. It was in a lovely home and ours were the only kids who did not spill their drinks on the white carpet, so I considered the party a success. M considered the party a success because J got the glow-in-the-dark, hang-on-your-door mini basketball hoop set in the kiddie white elephant gift exchange.

Yesterday we had the best day! We pretty much ignored the hustle and bustle of the season and the packages to be sent and had the kind of days that you see on Christmas cards. We stayed at home, played in the snow, built 3 snowmen and a snow fort, hung up outdoor Christmas lights, tied big red bows on some of our trees, sledded in the front yard, drank hot cocoa and watched old TV Christmas specials on the internet. Ahhh!







Followers