Monday, November 9, 2009

Monday's mending

S has the enviable predicament of continually growing taller, but never wider. She has a pair of jeans that fit her great around the waist, but they are too short for her. So I took an old pair of my jeans that I’d already cut into for another project and cut 4 or 5 inches of the bottoms of the legs.
I roughly gathered the cut edges as I pinned them on to the bottoms of her pants. Next I machine sewed them on using navy thread right below the existing hemstitching. (Right where that red arrow is pointing.)
I decided to hand stitch a heart cut out of my old jeans, so it wouldn’t look so odd that the added part didn’t match S’s jean color. We both think they turned out pretty cool!

12 comments:

Christie said...

Very cute.. I've had the same issue with Josh thinking he can still wear pants that fit around the waist but have turned into little man capris. Do you think a boy version of this would fly?
:-)

Gina said...

Wow! They really look great.

Mollie said...

I especially love S's footwear - they compliment the new pants perfectly!

Linn said...

SOOO cute!

Christy said...

hey Mollie, I think Harrison gave those fancy shoes for her b-day a couple years ago!

Alyson said...

That is a GREAT idea! Wish that would work for a boy...my Jack has the same dilemma...he never grows wider, just taller. But I don't think ruffles would work for him!
I love your blog - it makes me feel not so distant!

Jennifer said...

Good for you! Wow, S is looking so much older and more like her mom I think.

LL said...

Super cute! Not sure I can get away with that for my boys. :-)

MarenG said...

Great idea! Now...what do you do with holes in the knees?

Beth said...

Very Cute. I have the same issue with Danielle and I have cut a few pants into capris--but I never thought about adding fabric. Great idea. (i'm glad you finally jumped on the blog train)

Darby Family said...

Thank is such a great idea! I love it.

kim said...

That turned out so cute! I'll have to try that becuase we have the same issue--I've done various things to try to fix it, but mostly she just wears high waters or her pants are always falling down.

Followers