Most string art is done on a wood backing, but can you imagine the headache one would have after a couple of hours of 12 girls hammering nails into boards in a small classroom? Solution: foamcore. Before the activity, I cut foamcore into 8 x 10s and glued them three deep. I glued 5/8 inch ribbons around the edges to finish them off. Then the girls traced their first initial on the foamcore and poked 3/4 inch long nails around the outside of the letter. Some of the girls got wiggly with the nail holes so we put a dab of hot glue on the nail point and then re-inserted it.
We used three colors of crochet thread to get an ombre effect. The girls were delighted with their initials.
The kids and I did some of our own ideas in string art. The boys had a blast sticking the nails in the foamcore and had some fun tangling string between them; mostly just an enjoy-the-process kind of project for them. S made up this little stunner. She's using string art as an element in her creation for this year's PTA Reflections contest entry.
I messed around with a black foamcore and gold tread...
and I got Christmasy with this one. I used red fingernail polish on the tips of the nails to emphasize the word. Yeah! String art is lots of fun!





1 comment:
ADORABLE. I am totally inspired to do string art...and all sorts of other crafty crafts:) I am back on blogger after a two hiatus! love you!
Post a Comment