Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Ewok costume tutorial

Here are this year's Halloween creations! I'm not sure who has more fun, the kid's wearing them or me making them!!
She is Hathor the ancient Egyptian goddess of love and beauty...nope no one guessed that.  She's okay with Cleopatra.
J wanted to be a giant candy corn.  It's felt with two pool noodles holding its bottom out.  I used more math to come up with this costume than any other article I've ever sewed.
Works as a parachute....sort of.
I've always wanted to create an ewok, so I was thrilled AJ asked for this.  We take our Star Wars very seriously.  He is actually posing in the area we call "Ewok Hill" in our yard.

Someone asked about how I made the ewok costume, so here's my quasi-tutorial before I forget how I made this up.
The drawing below shows the basic shapes I cut from the faux fur.  I half hot-glued, half sewed this fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants costume.  Notice that I labeled different segments of the pants with letters.  I sewed the matching segments to each other.  For example, I sewed the inseam A to the outside edge A.

The idea was to make sort of a pair of overalls so I wouldn't have to make a waistband... crunched for time and lazy.  Anybody who has ever sewn a pair of pants will notice that I also didn't bother to make any real adjustment for a crotch...again I'm lazy and our family is genetically devoid of glutes, so it didn't really matter for AJ anyway.
Since faux fur doesn't fray, I didn't finish any of the edges.  Cutting faux fur is a royal pain in the rear; you get fuzz EVERYWHERE!!! My tip for cutting it is to turn it backside up and use scissors (NOT a rotary cutter) and cut only through the knit backing and not the actual furry fibers.  It won't totally eliminate the fuzz, but it diminishes it quite a bit.

For the ears I also cut a piece of felt about an inch smaller in all directions than the fur.  I laid the fur wrong side up and then centered the felt on it.  I then folded the fur edges over the felt and glued them down.  They get sewn into the hood/cloak.
For the hood/cloak, basically I got a yard of upholstery fabric with a nice heavy drape to it. (I wish the backing wasn't white, oh well)  I draped it over AJ, sort of off-centered so it was longer in the back.  With a Sharpie, I marked where the ears should go and a rough hole for his face.  Then I took it off AJ and cut along my marks and cut the outer edges of the fabric so it wouldn't look so square.  I recommend cutting your face hole a little on the small side since you are cutting through the bias and it will stretch more than you might think.  I glued a ring of fur around the face hole and sewed the ears in place.  Then I put it back on AJ and pinned it here and there where I wanted a fold or wrinkle.  Then I glued the fabric in those spots from the inside of the hood to keep the folds looking just right, and glued the little accent leather pieces too.  It kept slipping off his face, so I think I might make some changes to the back.  

That's about all I can remember about how this came together.  All I can say is...
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!

2 comments:

Linn said...

First, cutest Ewok I have ever seen in my life. And the original ones were pretty dang cute.

Second, "genetically devoid of glutes." That may be my favorite line ever written.

Third, you amaze me. Just in case I didn't get that point across the first 1938 times I told you.

LL said...

LOVE it! You are so inspiring with your cool, creative creations!

Followers