A month ago, I was sitting by the big dinning room windows and this crazy, smallish, grey bird started fluttering around, knocking its wings into the windows then perching on the 2 inch window ledge and chirping like mad. Every 5 or 10 minutes he was back again banging on the window and chirping. Tweet tweet tweet twit twitter. It got even more bizarre when I went downstairs and started folding laundry and the bird started banging on the downstairs glass doors and sitting on the back of the deck chairs and peering into the glass down there.
I opened the windows to see if my sound and the smell of a human house would help it realize that this was not a bird house, but he was not deterred. I felt like he must be trying to tell me something but like the defective Disney princess that I am, I have NO ability to speak with woodland animals. "What's that you say little bird? The dwarves and Lassie are trapped in an abandoned mine shaft?" He kept it up all day long.
When he came back the next day and the next day and the next, he got named "Demented", but we call him "Ted" for short. He’s been back everyday since then, but he only checks in about every hour or so instead of so incessantly like that first day.
I know a bird enthusiast who tells me Ted is a Townsend Solitaire and they like to eat Juniper berries, which we do have in the yard...but she couldn't explain why he is so interested in my window. I guess we have ourselves a pretty great, new pet; a little hard to cuddle up with, but fun to watch,and we don't have to feed it or clean up after him!

No comments:
Post a Comment