that highly anticipated recap...
of the things we made for the 2010 holiday season! (and the crowd goes wild!)
A couple of years ago I made this little felt nativity so the little ones would have one that they could touch and love without being told “NO!” It’s one of my favorite things to get out each year. This year we made the addition of the sheep and the palm tree. I’m hoping to get a few more animals done for next year too.
J and I thrifted a plain old jewelry box recently.
We painted and glittered and bejeweled it together and we ended up this beauty for J to give to S for Christmas. She adores it!
One of my brothers digs elephants. It’s not so much that he wants to run away to be an elephant trainer in the circus, but he has lots of pictures, statues, books, lamps etc with elephant images. He was visiting us this fall and spied an old elephant marionette in one of our antique stores. It was missing an ear and had a broken leg and looked a little worse for the wear and he decided against getting it because of the damage.
I went back later and got it, fixed the leg, built a new ear and made a nifty sash thingy for its neck without making it too new. I like the results and so did he.

For YEEEEEEEARS I’ve been meaning to make quiet books for the kids. I’ve got dozens of pages sketched out. Finally I put together 8 sides and gave them to the kids collectively. I’m glad to have them started. Hopefully I can keep some momentum going on these and have more pages and a cover made for Easter and birthday gifts.
dress up the kids pages (lots of outfits and they are stored behind the brown closet doors that didn't photograph well.)
nesting family page
Jesus loves the little children page
(This one is AJ's favorite; he sticks his face right up to it and makes Jesus pat his cheeks.)
Velcro backed puzzle (this one was so easy, I'm thinking of having a couple of different puzzles to rotate & keep it fun.)
spin the frown away page
a plastic page to make wiki stick/bendaroo pictures and a bunch of flaps to lift and play peek-a-boo with family, friends and other pictures.










6 comments:
Before I read your last paragraph, I was thinking, "Christy has to sell this, she will be a millionaire!" And then I realized you would also never sleep, or eat or do anything else. LOVE the idea of the PDFs and I will be your first customer. Seriously, Ben would love it SO much! You are incredible, friend.
by far the cutest quiet book i have seen out there....so i say, yes, sell at least the pdf forms and let other people pretend to be as artistic as you:) it makes us feel good.
Did you use a pattern for your felt nativity? Its adorable.. and the quiet book is amazing as well.. you could totally sell the patterns!
I want to buy one. But I would also need a little more instruction to get a finished product. It is so fabulous! You are amazing!
You should definitely sell them! I've looked and never really found any quiet book patterns. And, out here at least, I have never seen a completed quiet book for purchase either. Used to make me crazy, but then I gave up on the idea of "quiet"...
And I'd buy your nativity pattern too - I really wanted to make some sort of nativity set this year, but I just didn't have the time.
You are very talented!!
My friends who sell PDF's of the crafts in their etsy shops tend to make the most money off of those, rather than the finished products. Like you said, you have to charge so much for crafts to make it worth your time, but the PDF lets you sell tons for the same amount of time!
And I think the quiet book is a great idea--I've been scared off from making one by how much time everyone spends when they do it, but maybe this would be the way to go.
Post a Comment