Sunday, August 1, 2010

ever so Home Ec-y Becky!

Disclaimer: I don’t want you to set your expectations very high or to think this is going to happen very often on this blog, but I had a very domestic-goddess-like week and I must brag.

Growing up, my family always ate Sunday dinner on the good china and used the real silver. I’ve done the same with my family. My silver has tarnished and I’ve never really done much to try to polish it because I am LAAAAAAAAAZY. Anyway I read about a chemistry trick that sounded too easy to be true and tried it. First line a pan with aluminum foil and fill it with cold water. Next add 2 tsp salt and soak silverware in the water for 2 or 3 minutes.
Then simply rinse & dry! I could not believe how beautifully it worked. No more excuses for tarnished silver.
Now don’t you dare just toss that foil from your silver polishing in the garbage! Fold it up until it is several layers thick. Then snip it up with your dull scissors and it will sharpen them up for you! See I told you I was really on one this week!
S had a birthday party to attend and we never pass up the chance to create a gift instead of buying one. I also have a hobby room that is embarrassingly full of supplies & stuff so I wanted to see if we could make the whole gift without buying any new materials. We used an old t-shirt & lots of fake flowers to make a princess cape, some felt scraps & more fake flowers to make a crown and the packaging from a set of onsies, and yes, more fake flowers to make a purse!
I think next time I’ll leave more of the front of the t-shirt on so that there is a smoother transition to the back, but the cape was so awesome that we will probably never donate an old t-shirt to charity ever again. The possibilities are endless; red or blue with super hero logos ironed on, purple or black with wizards’ stars and moons painted on, king/queen with fake fur edging, divas with feather boa edging…

I made my first cake for someone outside of my family. It was a bittersweet birthday/going-away party for a friend. Sigh.

But the really MOST domestic thing I did this week was make my first batch of wild cherry jelly.
We happily discovered that the bushes in the yard that bloomed this spring produce little edible cherries in the summer.
They are more pit than fruit, so not really good for pies, but that’s just as well for my waistline anyway. :)

5 comments:

Alyson said...

I'll have to give that silver polishing trick a try...I've got some silver that is not so shiny anymore, and it's such a pain to rub the stinky stuff, then buff it off. Thanks for the tip!
I love the homemade gift...I've taken to doing the same for many of the kids' friends this past year. We pick out fabric that represents either a hobby or favorite color and make a special pillowcase. They've been hits every time!

Gina said...

In awe, again. But really glad to that silver trick works!! I've heard it too, and it sounded too good to be true to me also. Amazing.

LL said...

I am slow and will, therefore, need more instructions on that shirt cape - what a great idea! And what a great way to use up those free shirts JC is always bringing home from work. :-)

Christie said...

What a productive week-- you are amazing :-) I would also like more details on the shirt cape..

Christie said...

Apparently I'm slow too.. just realized that you linked to the instructions :-)

Followers