Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Birthday J!


Just a couple of photos of J’s birthday party today. He went for a solar system themed cake, which I thought was out of this world, (pun painfully intended) UNTIL the reality of Earth’s gravitational pull drug all the cake pop planets to lean out over the sides of the pan. This is not my first cake with serious structural flaws and probably not my last either, :) but we have fun with them.  And yes, we made a dwarf cake pop planet for Pluto, in case you were wondering.
 (little known fact: the planet Mercury has a band of multi colored sprinkles around its equator.)

I hadn't really planned on having a party since we are leaving on a big trip tomorrow and I had a few other things on my plate right now.  I figured just gifts, cake and ice cream would be good, but YESTERDAY afternoon J let me know that a piñata was an essential part of every 5 year old’s birthday. Eeekk! No time to make one, store-bought ones never live up to my imagination and cost more than I’m willing to pay, what is a mom to do?....hit the dollar store and get the usual piñata prizes, wad them up and twist them up in colorful tissue paper and we had a “meteorite and comet” search in the back yard.  Here a shot of the meteorites and comets that S collected.
And since it was starting to look like one anyway, we threw in a craft/game and called it a party.  We decorated flying saucers made from paper plates and bowls hot glued together for a game of UFO Golf. Good times for our favorite 5 year old!

1 comment:

Linn said...

He is so sweet and I cannot BELIEVE he is five! Loved everything about his party.

Followers