I have a friend who moved here the same summer we did, who is embracing the local culture better than I. She wanted to take her kids to the rodeo. Somehow she talked me into taking S along with them. She got tickets for the big finals on Saturday night! I thought S would be turned off by the violence of it all, but no; she loved everything. Her favorite horse was a small palomino with a mane and tail that reached the ground. It was ridden by a fancy lasso artist from Mexico who did some spectacular rope tricks while riding and standing on the palomino.
She liked all the roping events and especially the “bull fighting.” When I saw bull fighting on the line-up I thought we were talking about true Spanish bull fighting and I got a little sick inside. Fortunately it turns out there’s an American rodeo event called bull fighting where it’s a rodeo clown verses a bull and the clown gets points for dancing around and distracting the bull and no bulls are killed. A few clowns got tossed in the air but it’s an entirely different thing when you are wearing full body Kevlar and padding than being gored in silks and velvets. In the end S had such a good time that I got



4 comments:
I'm so not kidding when I tell you I LOVE RODEOS! I was seriously raised watching them and think they are the best. Weird, Boston doesn't really do that kind of thing. Go figure!
i have tried to do rodeos...i mean i do live in utah...i can't really love them--partially it is the people in an arena, partly it is i don't get the point system so don't know how to judge. and really i would rather be touching than watching the animals. oh, and i am allergic to cow hair. lol
you are on for the purple and orange challenge:)
How could you not buy her that amazing hat, especially when it goes so well with her leopard print top? Love it, and I'm loving the toothless grin - Harrison's got the same smile going on right now.
I love rodeos, too! So much fun!
Post a Comment