Sunday, November 28, 2010

art class

(note: this got posted out of order and should have been last week, before Thanksgiving.)
So when I was S's age my insightful parents hooked me up with private painting lessons from a local fine artist and it literally formed my self image and set me on my life's path!  I am not confident that I am as in tune with my kids' future passions so they are just stuck with mine! :)  Also, while I'd love to teach them myself, I think they listen to others differently than they listen to me.  So we signed up for some group classes at the local museum.  Here are some of their first works.

S is in a bird drawing class and these were drawn while watching a live parrot.  I still find drawing from live models difficult so I'm glad they are challenging them with it already.  I like that she drew multiple views.
J & I are in a mom & me class, but the kids are the only ones who get canvases &  paints (aw man!)  Our class looked at Van Gogh's Starry Night (1889)
Here's how J reinterpreted it in 2010.  The teacher and I pointed some things out for him to notice and coached him on some of the layout, but the paint mixing and brushstrokes are all his own.
The whole family got to watch an artist, Denise du Broy at work and ask her questions right in the very gallery where her paintings were exhibited last Saturday.  Here are some of her works...


and here are ours...
.

3 comments:

Linn said...

I love how creative and artistic you people are! That starry night, wow! (The second one. The first one is okay.)

kim said...

Love the art work. I think its so fun to show the kids famous artist work and then let them recreate it. There is actually a great book with ideas for this that I got to work with the kids on. We've only done a couple, but I figure its a good way for them to also learn about some of the famous artists.

KjB said...

And you thought the only "art" in South Dakota would be dreamcatchers! You've got some great little artists budding. Wish we could get Sage and Sasha together and let them go at it for a few hours. Sasha's constantly taping new pictures all over the house - and they're much better than my drawings were at her age.

I'm thinking that when we paint bedrooms this spring, I'm going to use the magnetic paint and cover a huge section of her wall with it. Gotta find some giant magnets that no little ones can swallow. At least I'll save money on Scotch tape!

Followers