Did any of you feel the entire North American tectonic plate shudder on Tues? Yes, well, that was M. Remember the little tree we planted last weekend? On Monday we noticed that the deer nibbled off all the new shoots of growth on it! I’ve been relatively unbothered by the deer thus far, but that made me MAD! I really hate the look of the 6 foot wire fences around little trees, but made M put one in anyway. You may also remember that to plant the dear little tree he had to chip away at sheer bedrock and driving fence posts into it, well, that’s what you felt jolting the planet on Tuesday.
We already have a 6 ½ foot high fence around a garden area in the yard, so that should be safe from our 4 hoofed friends. This week the kids and I started some seeds indoors to be transferred next month when we are supposed to be frost-free. We made individual pots for the seeds out of toilet paper rolls which should be awesome because they biodegrade and we can plant them straight into the garden and cause less root shock! Plus we wrote right on the roll what kind of seed we planted in it so we won't lose any of those little plant stakes and actually know what we are planting where this year!
S discovered shooting stars growing in our backyard! They are really some of the very most charming little wildflowers ever!
Totally un-garden-related, but I know you are curious, yesterday we had our 2nd ice skating lessons. The kids were already tons better. The only thing that is holding them back is confidence. I, on the other hand, was still as pathetic…left a lot of corduroy on the ice. :)



3 comments:
I feel your pain. Last weekend, I dug a (truly hideous) bush out of our front yard and planted bulbs, seeds, and some ground cover plants. I raked it all smooth and watered it that evening, and the next morning found 2 sets of hoof prints running right through the bed. There was another set today. I don't think they've stopped to nibble (yet).
I hate the fences too, but we have one around our little tree. Not for deer, but to keep the kids off of it. I grew a whole bunch of tomatoes last year, and we didn't eat one because the kids got into them and had a huge tomato fight while I was fixing dinner.
Bunnies, deer, kids...I just can't win in the garden department.
good luck with the deer--they are a pest when it comes to cultivated plants, so sorry.
(btw i teach 7th, 8th and 9th grade earth systems and biology--in response to you about my blog)
Post a Comment