
I don't know if I've ever shared on the blog that S & I have dyslexia, but we do. It's a lot more common than you may think; 1 in 5 human beings have this difference in their brain wiring. Having S diagnosed has helped a LOT of my family finally understand and admit that we have it too. My dad, the one at the top of the tree, who truly is a mathematical genius had always deeply believed that he was stupid because of his reading difficulty and found it so liberating and empowering and healing to learn that his brain is simply wired differently.
Since being diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago and receiving specific tutoring, S has gone from being 3 grade levels behind in reading to being above grade level and disqualifying for any further specialized tutoring in the public school.
Research is starting to show that dyslexics may have many more strengths than weaknesses. S and I attribute our creativity and ability to think outside the box to our dyslexia. Heck, who am I kidding? We can't even find the box, let along think inside it! :)
If you would like more information about dyslexia, I recommend the book Overcoming Dyslexia, by Dr. Sally Shaywitz and her Yale Center for Dyslexia and Creativity website. The tutoring system we used at home to supplement the one at school is Susan Barton's Bright Solutions. And while you are there, check out her list of famous dyslexics; everybody from Charles Schwab to Magic Johnson and from Winston Churchill to Leonardo daVinci!
2 comments:
I love this SO much! And you are not kidding about the strengths being more than the weaknesses. I have seldom known any family with more incredible talents and strengths then yours. Thanks for sharing!!
I agree with Linn. If dyslexia could make me one tenth as relentlessly and fantastically creative as you, I want dyslexia too!
Post a Comment