Sunday, March 2, 2014

some favorite illustrators

I just love children's books, and I thought I'd share a couple of illustrators that are new to me that really make me so happy.

Dan Santat - I first looked up his works because he was featured in a UCSD alumni magazine.  He got his microbiology bachelors degree there and then was brave enough to admit that it was actually drawing that made him happier and he went to art school!  The world in a much better place because he did.
and our FAVORITE!!!

We haven't found any at our library that he has authored as well, but he has been very fortunate to have had really great stories to illustrate in the books we have found.

Oliver Jeffers - In contrast to Santat, I love the simplicity of Oliver Jeffers work.  He writes his own stories mostly, and they are as simple and engaging as his illustrations.

Chris Van Duesen - shares my love for all things mid-century.  I'd love to live in every house and drive in every car he draws.
And last for today's round up, Shaun Tan.  I'll concede that some of his stories and drawings are rather abstract, maybe a tad bizarre, but oh how some of them make my heart sing!  This book includes 3 stories and so many fabulous images!
The Lost ThingThe Red TreeThe Rabbits

2 comments:

Alyson said...

Three Ninja Pigs is one of my new favorite children's books! I am working as the "librarian" at the boys' school two days a week, reading to the kids in grades K-3 and helping them check out books. It's pretty much the greatest gig ever, and it has been so much fun to expand my repertoire of great children's literature! I'll have to check out some of these others!

LL said...

Thanks for these recommendations - I was just thinking last night that we need to find something new to read. Now I know what to look for!!

Followers