We did our first project last week. I talked for about 2 minutes about colors and mixing primary colors to get secondary colors and then mixing secondaries & primaries to get tertiary colors. I used my example project to show them.
Primary colors (red, yellow, blue)
Primary AND secondary (green, orange, purple)
Hold the two up to the light and you can see the tertiary colors like blue green and red orange.
This week we did some more color exploration. I gave each kid a fourth of a poster board with 12 squares (2.5 inches each) and a piece of cardstock with 12 one inch squares lightly penciled on them.
They picked their favorite color from our acrylic craft paint stash and painted the whole back side of the small paper with that color. Then they picked 12 more colors and painted the squares on the poster board. Lastly we cut apart the 12 small squares of their favorite color and glued them in each of the bigger painted squares.
Here's my example
These are the beauties the kids made!
This gave us a chance to look at how opposite colors make each other vibrate or pop off the page while similar colors blend and are more mellow together. We also noted that most colors can have a cool tone and a warm tone and they clash with each other (think mint & olive greens).
I couldn't be more excited about this new endeavor! The challenging part will be the age differences; the official participants are ages 9, 8, 7, & 6, but the preschool aged siblings (5, 3 & 18 months) desperately want to be included in the fun; who could blame them, no?
There are just so many projects I want to do with these kids, it's hard to chose where to begin and which direction to take them!!! I also wish I could invite every friend my kids have to join our group, but 5 or 6 already maxes out my abilities. Maybe when my kids are all old enough for public school, I could become the homeschooling community's art class headquarters and maybe I could work it so I'd never have to cook ever again!!!!







3 comments:
i want to come! i promise that i will be at least as attentive and quiet as the preschool crowd. i'm a little jealous. love the josef albers inspired project!
Wow!!! This is so cool! I am so excited for you!! Please keep posting about the projects you do so that I can get some inspiration - I'm also extremely non-crafty, and unfortunately don't live near you anymore...
Oh, I so would have supported your no cooking endeavor with an art trade, what a FABULOUS idea!!!! I admit I too am jealous, those kids are so LUCKY!
Post a Comment