Sunday, June 23, 2013

Space: the birthday frontier!

We had a fun week celebrating J’s birthday. He got lots of Legos; he’s very happy about that. We had a space party for him. There was a laser maze.  This was my vision
Ribbons taped in the hall walls was all they needed to get the idea. 
There was a cardboard box rocket ship, but it got pretty soggy thanks to the rain we got the night before. Remember the pool noodle light sabers that we made for a friend's birthday, well obviously, we needed some more for this party.  I was imagining this scene...
They were supposed to try to keep the training droids (beach balls, but in hind sight balloons would have worked better) in the air with their light sabers, 
but as you can imagine, it mostly devolved into a classic light saber mêlée and we invented a new sport called light saber hockey. 
We played Robot, Robot, Alien (think Duck, Duck Goose). 
We saved the best for last, M’s water bottle rockets. He was sort of hoping for an excuse to get an air compressor, but found plans for one using a regular bicycle air pump
Everybody loved it. 
First launch
look at those faces!
The Galaxy Girls team.
It was J's idea that the one pulling the launch cord should be in helmet & goggles.  Safety first around here!
Oh and of course I enjoyed making an out of this world cupcake for everyone. 
They were jumbo muffin sized cupcakes sitting in a paper flying saucers complete with glow stick rims!  The aliens were donut holes decorated with buttercream and gummy worms and candy eyes. (. . .and an occasional toothpick for structural integrity. J)  The flying saucer domes were plastic wine cups (minus the stand). And they were presented on a robot cake stand!  (Various sizes of tin food cans duct taped to pizza pans and a spray painted strawberry container head with lids, caps, pipe cleaners stickers etc for buttons & knobs.)  With their reflective plastic domes and glow sticks, the aliens & their space ships were irresistibly adorable, but impossibly tricky to photograph.  But I kept on trying...
The guests left with these favors, (the thank you rockets are a decorated roll of Spree candies) their light sabers and a serious sugar high from the alien cupcakes.  Such fun!

6 comments:

Gina said...

The cupcakes are SO AMAZING. You are the "beyond pinterest" mom.

appetersen said...

Christy - I know I'm too old (after all, I'm your AUNT!) - but can I be one of your kids? You are simply amaaaaaazing! Love those cupcakes - too cute for this world!

Linn said...

Everything is beyond incredible! Why or why don't you live closer? I would pay large amounts of money for your to run our kids' birthday parties. And we only have so many, so I wouldn't use ALL of your time. I'm so impressed friend! Happy Birthday J!

Doug and Amanda said...

fun! Such great birthday ideas!

LL said...

WOW! Looks like another one of your most excellent parties! Love those cupcakes....you are amazing!

Dan said...

So I have had remnants of things from the party lying around the house and I asked Dan (knowing it was from your party) "How did Christy use this and what did she do with that and what was this used for?" Etc. Etc. He COULD NOT tell me at all what things were!!!! Sooo glad you posted. It all makes sense now. As always, super impressive. I love the alien cupcakes---that's out of this world!!!!

Followers