M was in costume when AJ woke up from his nap and he didn't want anything to do with this scary black mustachioed man!
We had sunny 80 degree weather the day before
and sunny 70 degree weather the day after.
So all the activities had been planned for outside, but on the day of
the party it was freezing and windy. We sprinkled the guests with pixie dust (glitter) at the door so that they could enter Never Never Land. Sticking with the
glitter pixie dust idea was a bit foolish once the festivities got moved
inside. Still magically fun, but we are
going to be vacuuming up glitter for months.
I’d made a map of Never Never Land
and they had to follow the dashed line to each spot and play a game and finally
get to the pirates hidden treasure.
(Again, this was going to be FABULOUS in our adventurous yard.
Boo.) First stop was the Mermaid Lagoon
where everyone’s legs got tied together down to the knees and we played
something like musical chairs, only you had to get in bubbles (i.e. hula hoops)
and instead of eliminating a kid each time, we just took out a bubble and in
the end everyone was getting in the same hula hoop. We tried this one outside,but it was just too cold.
Next location was the Indian Camp
and we had a bit of target practice with a really old family favorite,
crokinoles. (Oh and we just scored ourselves the sage green vintage sectional which I didn't crop out of the photo below, so now we can finally start decorating the basement!)
Then it was to Pixie Hollow to
learn to fly! We took paper cut-outs of
all the Peter Pan characters, each were taped on to about 1/3 of a drinking straw and
strung on to their own fishing line that was tied to the banister
across the room. Then each kid blew up a
balloon and taped it to the bottom of the character’s straw, and while holding
the fishing line taut, let go of the balloon.
It was hilarious funny, when it worked, but there were quite a few
challenged flyers in our group. Not
enough happy thoughts?
Finally at Pirate’s Cove, we
distributed eye patches, divided up into boys vs. girls teams, rearranged the
furniture to make "ships" and use plastic balls to bomb each other. (Prediction: next big trend will be Pirate
Pixies. All those girls sporting eye
patches and sparkly wings were so cute!)
Eventually the battle shifted to hand to hand combat with balloon swords. Seriously, we will probably never have another party, no matter what the theme is, that doesn't involve a balloon sword battle.
Eventually the battle shifted to hand to hand combat with balloon swords. Seriously, we will probably never have another party, no matter what the theme is, that doesn't involve a balloon sword battle.
The treasure was in a fancy gold, nautically decorated tin that J couldn't pass up at the thrift store a while ago and it was hidden in "Skull Rock"; otherwise known as the deep spooky storage closet in my bedroom.
The cake is always a place
that I like to expend a lot of my pent up creative energy. This time I sort of cheated. I bought a cake at Walmart and scraped off
all the hideous decorations so we had a plain white backdrop for a black paper
cut out of Never Never Land and the children flying. I’ve been doodling some pirate map-ish images
for a while for something big I have planned for the kids’ bedroom, so I didn’t
have to draw too much more and then I sent it through my nifty Silhouette
Cameo. I think it turned out pretty cool
even if it wasn’t all edible. I wonder
if I could cut some fondant or frosting sheets with the Silhouette. . . ?















4 comments:
i think you should make those cake wrap things and sell them on etsy...or just to me. you're brilliant.
Most excellent! I can never host another birthday party for my children, now that I know how lame my parties are. Yours are amazing!!
Seriously. You guys are SO cool. I'm sending my kids to your house for their birthdays. Love everything about this party. How special!
That is an AMAZING party!!! I've been hankering for a Silhouette Cameo...I think seeing what you're doing with yours has convinced me it's a must-have!
Post a Comment