We NEVER have sugary cereals at our house, so we decided to celebrate St. Patrick's Day by having Lucky
Charms for breakfast, because, you know, it has a leprechaun on the front. It turns out that it is decidedly NOT
“magically delicious” like the advertisement claims.
My mom sent me 2 dozen sparkly
green fairy ornaments a while back, because she got them for a song on clearance and she was sure I'd think up some marvelous thing to do with them. Yesterday morning it occurred to me just what that marvelous thing was. AJ & I hid them out in our trees.
Then we showed the rest of the family the first one (which
we asserted was actually a little girl leprechaun) and they had to follow the trail of
them until they found the leprechaun gold.
It was a lot of fun.
The most exciting part of the day
was when J learned how to ride a bike for the first time!!!
A close second was when M strung some
ropes between some of our trees and made a super fun obstacle course. The kids LOVE it, especially the section that
goes over the digging area filled with water!
Our Stake Relief Society (church women's organization) puts on a
women’s conference every year and this year it was on St. Patrick’s Day. They asked me to be on the decorating
committee. I had springy visions of
wired butterflies hovering over low trays of real grass on each table, bright
pastel pendants strung around the room.
Well in the end they wanted everything in the conference to tie back
into cover of the Daughters of the Kingdom book, so I was stuck with grayish
blue, cream and brown; so dreary & disappointing. The other sister they got for the committee
had a vision of tables lining the walls of the gym (to try to mask that it was
a gym), with little vignettes showcasing each decade of the Relief Society’s
service. That sounded like way too much
work to me and I don’t know anyone who’d have antique stuff to display. I suggested that we do the opposite and put
one big display in the center of the room so everyone’s eyes would be drawn
away from the gym walls. That’s what we
did. She framed little write ups about
each story she wanted to highlight and it was very different from the usual
decorations. Not the colorful
celebration of springtime like I hoped for, but it was nice. Really hard to photograph, but nice.












2 comments:
That is hard to photograph, but I thought you guys did a nice job. My eyes definitely were drawn to the middle of the room. and obstacle course!!! What a great idea...I could do that too...hmmmm...another project to put on my plethora of list to do. But that's why you were late to the conference huh??? too busy with that obstacle course!
Once people see our house, they know not to put me on the decorating committee. :-) If you have excess decorating energy, feel free to swing by!!
Love the obstacle course - we'll have to do that this summer. Or now, before it is too hot to go outside...
Post a Comment