Monday, February 6, 2012

coat closet make-over

We have a tiny coat closet by our front door.  I had an idea for making it more efficient for us.  I don't have a before photo, but it's not hard to imagine; the closet was just a rod that fit about 4 coats on hangers and a hard-to-get-to-even-for-adults overhead shelf.  Pretty much, it was always just a hip-deep mass of coats, boots, backpacks etc. that cascaded out every time the door was opened. 

I was hoping to get better photos of this project, but I might never get around to that so here's what we've got.  And I promise it is FABULOUS in real life!

Now we have 2 rows of coat hooks and a row of backpack hooks on one wall and part of the back wall.  That's 12 spots for coats and 6 for bags!  (yeah, there's one backpack on the floor in the photo, but I got excited and took the photos while M was out at the store picking up another couple of hooks because I underestimated how many we could fit in there.  The backpacks are currently being trained to stay on their hooks.)  On the other side, we have easy-for-kids-to-get-to shelves with lidded boxes for stuff like winter accessories, library books and art smocks!  (The boxes are sturdy hanging file folder boxes from Target with the the folders removed of course.)  I am so happy with it and happy with my handsome & handy husband who did the whole project in less than a day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yay for small spaces that get effeciently managed...sums up my whole life experience of small living quarters. great job.

LL said...

Love it! We have a closet like that - I might copy you!!

Followers