Monday, November 12, 2012

Watercolors

We are NOT the busiest family you know, but with our church commitments and whatnot, Tuesday night is about the only time during the week that I can fit in time by myself away from the family.  I'm always watching the community education and art center's class listing for something that is only taught on Tuesday evenings and last month something finally came up; a watercolor class.

The instructor was a retired high school art teacher and she put a really geometric abstract spin on watercolors for the class.  I had a hard time getting into her technique, but ended up with at least 2 respectable pieces.
The top one is really hard to photograph because of the intense reds & oranges.  I'm most fond of the second one.

I think I'm probably every instructors worst nightmare.  She had poinsettias for us to use in a composition, but no, I have to go and do a butterfly and poppies.  And for the bigger piece that I've yet to finish I brought peacock feathers.  I seem to have a hard time being satisfied with closely follow other people's processes, but would rather use them as a launching point for my own expression...that's what art is about, right?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

absolutely agree, hopefully the teachers are confident enough to allow for students like you!

Christy said...

yeah Aleisha, but you can see it in their eyes that I really freak them out most of the time.

Followers