Here are some of our photos and impressions of the trip. (It's a super long post, so prepare yourselves.)
Wednesday I drove out to the swap
meet to get all of the obligatory souvenir shopping out of the way while M was at his
conference. (The kids asked us to bring
sharks teeth home for them; not sure why, but I picked some up anyway. I also got a cheap sparkly sea
turtle necklace for myself. Turns out,
that’s what AJ REALLY, REALLY wanted and he’s been trying to convince me non-stop
to trade it for his shark’s tooth. If
I’d only known!)
Also while M was otherwise occupied, I spent HOURS
photographing flowers and trees at a botanical garden. Before the end of the trip I had over 300 photos of just plants. Here are my top 10 flower shots. I think my favorites were the huge, gorgeous nutmeg blossoms. (bottom left with the brown centers)
I also got a kick out of this little baobab tree. (yep, that's me down at the right side of the base of the trunk!)
and how cute is this little gecko?!
That evening we went to the Laie Temple . We always try to visit the temples near our
travels, especially now that going an hour or 2 out of our way seems trifling
compared to the 6 hours it takes to get to our own temple. This makes the 27th temple I’ve
seen in person and the 18th in which I’ve done ordinances. It was so pretty, with
lovely, small, stained glass, red hibiscus throughout the interior, and of
course, the grounds were terrific. The
drive was pretty too.
Early Thursday morning we hiked Diamond Head . It
was a great view and interesting to see the old WWII bunkers. After breakfast M went back to the
conference and I wandered around Waikiki
wondering why I hadn’t brought any colored pencils or watercolors with me, such
fun colors and shapes everywhere. I took
a lot of photos, but I know from experience that I’ll never get around to
drawing from any of those photos like I would have liked to in person.
Thursday afternoon we headed up to
the North Shore to seek out some sea turtles. (I'm pretty sure I've never blogged about this, but I have always been fond of turtles. And aren't sea turtles the best turtles ever?) My dear friend Monica, who
lived in Laie , Hawaii when she was young, recommended a
spot for snorkeling called Shark’s Cove.
Never fear, it’s not named for the man-eating kind of shark. We saw big schools of fun fish.
We hadn’t been swimming around
long when I spotted our first green sea turtle a mere 10 feet away from
me. I was so excited that I nearly
hyperventilated and just maybe a tear or two actually trickled down my cheek
inside my snorkel mask. It didn’t mind
at all that we hovered around it while it snacked on whatever it was that was
growing on the rocks!
But wait! I spotted a smaller turtle around the other
side of a rock and was thrashing around trying to get M’s attention to show
him, only HE was trying to get my attention because he could see the small one
PLUS the third and larger turtle that was right under me and that I was
smacking in the face with my fins.
Ooops! But it was so awesome to
hang out with them, they were so cool!!!
We drove a bit further down the
road to get a famous shaved ice with ice cream and watch the sunset from Turtle Beach . M was absolutely smitten by the shaved ice
with ice cream.
Friday morning we were up for
early snorkeling at Hanauma
Bay . It’s THE place EVERYONE snorkels when they
are visiting Oahu and there were lots and lots
of fish that were very tame. It was an
impressive place.
As far as fish go, M’s favorites were the Spotted Boxfish (small, black, round fish with white polka dots), the Cornet Fish (the greenish photo above - super skinny & about 2 feet long) the Flying Gurnard (above, second from bottom right) and anything else with awesome camouflage ~ he even found an octopus! My favorites were the Moorish Idols (upper right photo from the Shark's Cove photos -yellow, black & white striped ones that looked like angelfish only they are like 8 or 9 inches), the Threadfin Butterflyfish (above, far left - neat herringbone patterns), and most of all the Reef Triggerfish. . .
This photo of a reef triggerfish was nabbed right off of Wikapedia because we didn't get a good photo of one of these fish, but we did see them. I love their super dramatic, graphic markings; I'm thinking God had fun the day he created these. And "it turns out" (this phrase brought to you by our good buddy, Dr. Brock )
J yes, it turns out, that this guy's name is the longest word in the Hawaiian language ~ humuhumunukunukuāpua’a
Next we cleaned up and headed
north again to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Man!
Those Tahitians can shake their hips! And the flame dancers at the night show were
stunning. And the luau food was delish!
Saturday we headed back to the other side of the island again, this time to rent a sea kayak and paddle out to a sunken island. At the lowest tides of the year it is a 1,000
acre sandbar that’s a mile or so from the main island. While we were out there, the low tide only
took the water down to about 8 inches covering the sunken island.
The sand was held in place by and old coral
reef that stuck up in places and where it was deep enough, we snorkeled
about. It was really cool to see fish that acted naturally afraid of you and a
healthy coral reef in contrast to Hanauma
Bay where the coral has
been brutally damaged by literally millions of humans coming in contact with it
every year for decades.
The coral was wicked
sharp and my knees are all banged up from merely brushing against it when the swells would drop me down on it. Next time you
see me in shorts, try to remember to ask me how I got those scars on my knees
so I can brag about them. J
We meandered around the North Shore
stopping at Laie Point (very beautiful) and a waterfall (rather disappointing). Then, lo and behold, we were pulling into the
same shaved ice shop we’d stopped into before (yeah, M really liked that stuff) and just in time to enjoy it while watching another picture perfect sunset on none other than, Sunset Beach
itself.
Sunday morning we packed up,
checked out and went to church with one of my cool friends from the mission. Next we took the USS Arizona tour
at Pearl Harbor . It is as unimaginable that the Japanese could
have sneaked across the entire Pacific Ocean for that surprise attack as it was
that the 9/11 hijackings could have taken place. They did a very nice job of keeping it a
quiet, respectful place.
We needed to see a better Hawaiian
waterfall so we headed for Manoa
Falls . It is in the rainforested part of the island
and it was exciting to recognize the smell of a rainforest (from our trip to
the Peruvian Amazon) the instant we stepped out of the car. It was seemed so strange to smell rainforest
after smelling the ocean just 20 minutes before.
Foolishly we were already wearing
the clothes that we planned to wear on the plane that night. It was a very, very muddy hike. M was in his sandals and was slipping and
sliding everywhere. It was a nice tall
waterfall, though I thought the hike was prettier than the waterfall.
Our last destinations were the Halona
Blowhole, the From Here to Eternity
beach and a hike out to the Dragon’s Nostrils (very cool twin blowholes). Again it was weird to go from heavy, thick
rainforest to hiking amongst cacti, wind sculpted, scrubby shrubs and barren
lava formations within another half hour drive.





















4 comments:
You almost made my kids late for school today. I was renewing a library book online this morning, hopped over here to see what you were up to before I started making breakfast and...well, your pictures were beautiful and I was so enjoying myself that I just lost track of time. Juanca was late to work!! Whoops!
We had an almost identical Hawaii experience before we had kids, when we went for a friend's wedding. Except I saw turtles when I was SCUBA diving, and just fish when we were snorkeling. But other than that, we did almost exactly all the same stuff. :-) I'm sure it was a welcome break from the long winters y'all have up north.
So happy you got to go--it looks beautiful!
What's the deal with all of my friends going to Hawaii this year? We won't make it to Hawaii this year, but it turns out, we did make it into a blog post about Hawaii. :), so that's something, right? So glad you were able to have a fun trip!
Wow! What gorgeous pictures. What a fun trip!
Post a Comment